Fiskevollen


About ten kilometers south of Oslo at the Fiskevollen bay, the Germans began in the spring of 1944 to establish a labor camp called Fiskevollen (sometimes Ljanskollen). The camp was completed in October and consisted of eight barracks, five for the accommodation of prisoners, a barrack where prisoners could wash, a kitchen barracks and a detention center. These barracks were surrounded by barbed wire fences and watchtowers. It was mainly Norwegian prisoners who sat in this part of the camp. Outside the barbed wire were four more barracks for administration and accommodation for guardianship. Italian, Polish, French and Russian prisoners were also in the camp, but they lived in other barracks just outside the camp.

The main task of the prisoners was to build fuel plants. Conditions in the camp were mild compared to other camps. From the German side they allowed food and supplies to be brought into the camp from outsiders. The camp existed until the end of the war in May 1945 and altogether there were about 500 – 600 prisoners in the camp. In June 1945, the Norwegian authorities took over the camp and detained about 90 women who was accused of being intimite with germans during the war. These were Norwegian women who had either a social or love relationship with Germans during the war. In October 1945 they were transferred to a camp on the main island in the Oslo fjord.

Current status: Demolished with information board (2023).

Location: 59°50' 23.98" N 10°46' 38.29" E

Get there: Car.

My comment:

There is nothing left of the camp and only a small information board informs passers-by pedestrians and cyclists that on the open grassy area was during the war one for most unknown small camp, but which was nevertheless a component of the great complex of camps established by the Germans in Europe during the Second World War.

Follow up in books: Kogon, Eugen: The Theory and Practice of Hell: The German Concentration Camps and the System Behind Them (2006).