Budzyn


In the summer of 1942 a labor camp was established north of Krasnik and about fifty kilometres southwest of Lublin in a small village called Budzyn. There were already war-producing industries. The first approximately 500 Jewish prisoners came from nearby ghettos, mainly from Krasnik. These were Jews whom the Nazis considered productive and needed for slave labor in war-producing industries. Later in the year, about 400 Soviet prisoners of war were sent to the camp. In 1943, about 800 Jews were sent from the Warsaw ghetto captured during the ghetto uprising. At the end of 1942, about 100 sick and old Jews were sent to the holocaust camp Belzec and in august 1943, about 200 unproductive Jews were sent to Majdanek where they were murdered.

In the summer of 1943, the number of prisoners was about 3,000. The prisoners in Budzyn were used as slave workers in a nearby factory that manufactured parts for aircraft. An activity that the Germans apparently considered to be of the utmost importance and therefore these slave workers were spared from being murdered during the "Harvest festival" in November 1943 when the nazis murdered about 18,000 Jews in the Lublin district. In February 1944 Budzyn became an official satellite camp to Majdanek and in connection with this, the prisoners were transferred to a new prison camp with eight barracks and which was closer to the factory. In comparison with previous years and other labor camps within the Lublin district, conditions in Budzyn were better. In May 1944, the Germans began evacuating the prisoners and dismantling the factory and moving them westward further away from the front.

Current status: Demolished with monument (2015).

Location: 50° 57' 57" N 22° 10' 29" E

Get there: Car.

My comment:

Although the monument is located right next to the main road (833), it can be easy to miss because the monument somehow blends in with the vegetation. The monument consists of four camp posts and a memorial plaque hung in chains. But this is not the prison camp itself, but is the limit of the factory in which the prisoners worked as slaves. The prison camp itself was located in what is now a residential area in Krasnik.

Follow up in books: Gilbert, Martin: The Holocaust: A History of the Jews of Europe During the Second World War (1987).