Czestochowa – Stalag 367


In the autumn of 1941 the Germans established a prisoner of war camp in Czestochowa which was named Stalag 367. They consisted of two parts, and a smaller part that was established in the former Polish military barracks (Nordkaserne), a larger part of Czestochowa’s eastern outskirts where primitive wooden barracks were built on a previously undeveloped area. The first Soviet prisoners of war arrived in September 1941. Among other things, they were used as slave workers in the HASAG factory in Czestochowa that manufactured ammunition. The lack of food and medicines meant a high mortality rate among prisoners. Add to that regular executions. The prisoners who died were buried in mass graves. The camp was primarily intended for the general public and non-commissioned officers, so also officers from the Red Army sat in the camp. From the autumn of 1943 Italian prisoners of war were also sent to the camp as a result of Italy’s capitulation in the same month. In 1944, as the Soviet Red Army advanced westward and approached Czestochowa, the Germans began evacuating prisoners to camps westward. The camp was liberated by the Red Army on January 17, 1945. Between 1941 and 1945, about 65,000 Soviet prisoners of war were placed in the camp, of which about 17,000 died.

Current status: Demolished with monument (2023).

Location: 50°48' 53.29" N 19°09' 05.95" E

Get there: Car.

My comment:

After the war, the larger camp was demolished and there is nothing left but a memorial and a faded information board. Nordkaserne, on the other hand, remains as in 2023 belongs to Czestochowa’s technical university and there is a memorial plaque on the facade. The current tablet was set up in 2016 because the previous one, as was set up in 1950 during the communist era in a way, a tribute to Polish-Soviet relations was as much as it was a tribute to those who sat in the camp.

Follow up in books: Bob, Fedorowich, Kent: Prisoners of War and Their Captors in World War II (1996).