On the morning of May 24, 1944, a B-17 bomber took off from its base in England. The Bomber was one over 600 planes to bomb industries outside Berlin. After the mission was completed and on the way back to England, it was shot at and a fire broke out on board the plane. Pilot Lieutenant William F. Nee then gave orders to the crew to leave the plane, but this order was not perceived by everyone in the crew. The six crewmembers who failed to comply with the order managed to extinguish the fire and take over the levers of the plane even though none of them was a trained pilot. They set course for Sweden and around lunchtime they reached the Swedish coast east of Ystad. There they circulated for a while and outside the sea at Simrishamn three of the remaining crewmembers jumped. Two were rescued and one drowned.

The plane then turned south again and two more crew members jumped out of the plane. One survived but one drowned when the hard wind brought him out over the sea. Remaining crew member Fredric T. Neel tried to make an emergency landing on the water outside Ornahusen. However, the plane hit the water so hard that it was ripped apart and sank a few hundred meters off the shore. Neel died in the crash and his body floated ashore and was found on July 8. Of the three who survived the intermezzo over Sweden, they were interned by the Swedish military before being returned to their home countries. Those who had already jumped over Germany were captured and put into German prisoner-of-war camps.

Current status: Monument (2021).

Location: 55°26' 55.29" N 14°15' 40.73" E

Get there: Car.

My comment:

At the shore, there is a simple information board and one of the planet’s propellers salvaged from the impact site. At the Skillinge maritime museum about three kilometers north of the site, one of the crewmen’s parachutes is said to be preserved and exhibited.

Follow up in books: Gilmour, John: Sweden, the Swastika and Stalin - The Swedish Experience in the Second World War (2011).